Hello friends do you want to go to Kedarnath from Dehradun. Among the 12 Jyotirlingas and one of the revered Chota Char Dhams in India, Kedarnath is a prominent pilgrimage destination nestled in the Rudraprayag district of Uttarakhand. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, Kedarnath Temple is a symbol of faith and reverence, attracting thousands of devotees every year.
History of Kedarnath
The Kedarnath Temple dates back to the 8th century and is believed to be built by the Hindu philosopher, Adi Shankaracharya. It’s said to be the place where Lord Shiva absolved Pandavas from the sin of killing their own cousins in the epic Mahabharata war.
Where is Kedarnath?
Kedarnath is situated in the Garhwal Himalayan range of Uttarakhand, at an altitude of about 3,583 m (11,755 ft) above sea level. It’s approximately 227 kilometers from Dehradun, the state capital.
Best Time to Travel to Kedarnath
The ideal time to visit Kedarnath is from May to June and again from September to October. During the winter months, the temple is closed due to heavy snowfall, and the idol is moved to Ukhimath.
How to Reach Kedarnath from Dehradun?
Reaching Kedarnath from Dehradun involves road travel and a trek. Here’s a detailed travel guide:
|Road (Car/Bike)||Dehradun – Rishikesh – Rudraprayag – Gaurikund||~227 km||7-8 hours||Fuel cost|
|Bus||Dehradun – Gaurikund (via Rishikesh)||~227 km||9-10 hours||INR 200-400|
|Trek||Gaurikund – Kedarnath||16 km||5-7 hours||Free|
|Helicopter||Dehradun – Kedarnath||Direct Flight||1 hour||INR 7,000 – 10,000|
Why is Kedarnath Famous?
Kedarnath is renowned for the ancient Kedarnath Temple, one of the holiest shrines of Lord Shiva. The temple’s location amidst the snow-capped Himalayan ranges adds to its spiritual aura. Kedarnath is also famous for the annual Yatra (pilgrimage), which takes place from May to October.
Major Attractions Around Kedarnath
- Kedarnath Temple: A magnificent stone edifice dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Bhairavnath Temple: Located just a kilometer from Kedarnath, it offers a panoramic view of the valley.
- Vasuki Tal: A glacial lake situated about 8 km from Kedarnath.
- Sonprayag: A place of religious significance, located at the confluence of the rivers Basuki and Mandakini.
Dehradun to Kedarnath distance by road
The Distance between Dehradun to Kedarnath by road is 254KM.
12 Months Temperature Data of Kedarnath
|Month||Average Temperature (°C)|
|January||-14 to -8|
|February||-12 to -6|
|March||-8 to 2|
|April||-3 to 6|
|May||3 to 8|
|June||5 to 10|
|July||8 to 12|
|August||7 to 11|
|September||4 to 8|
|October||-2 to 2|
|November||-8 to -4|
|December||-12 to -8|
Dehradun to Kedarnath trip cost?
Friends, if you want to know the cost of going from Dehradun to Kedarnath, then read the complete information given below.
- Bus travel cost: If you go by bus then it can cost you around 400 to ₹ 700.
- Private taxi travel cost: If you come by private taxi then it can cost you around ₹ 1000 to ₹ 1500.
- Own bike or Car travel cost: If you come by your own bike or car then it will cost you around ₹ 400 to ₹ 1500.
- Helicopter travel cost: If you use a helicopter service, then this cost of yours will come up to ₹ 54000 per person.
Dehradun to Kedarnath Route Map?
Kedarnath Related FAQs
What are the trekking options available at Kedarnath?
One can choose to trek on foot or hire a pony or a palanquin. Helicopter services are also available.
What should I wear during the Kedarnath Yatra?
Warm woolen clothes, waterproof jackets, trekking shoes, caps, and gloves are recommended due to the cold weather.
Is there any facility for accommodation in Kedarnath?
Yes, there are several GMVN (Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam) guest houses and private lodges available. However, advance booking is advised.